1. ABI 9252 is a synthetic variety with 260 parental clones. Parent clones trace to 2 populations selected for resistance to phytophthora root rot, anthracnose, bacterial wilt, fusarium wilt, verticillium wilt, blue alfalfa aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, pea aphid, stem nematode, and northern root knot nematode. Recurrent phenotypic selection was used. Final selections were made from two and three year old nurseries near Nampa, Idaho based on overall root and crown health. Parentage traces to experimentals closely related to Archer (55%)and Lobo (45%). Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced on cuttings of the parental clones near Nampa, Idaho, in 1992. Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced under field isolation. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: M.falcata (6%), Ladak (6%), M.varia (19%), Turkistan(12%), Flemish(31%), Chilean(9%), Peruvian(2%), Indian (2%), African (1%), and 12% unknown sources
2. ABI 9252 is intended for use in winterhardy intermountain region of the U.S. It has been tested in Idaho and California.
3. Fall dormancy of ABI 9252 is similar to Lahontan. Flower color is approximately 88% purple and 11% variegated with a trace of cream, yellow and white.
4. ABI 9252 has high resistance to spotted alfalfa aphid; Resistance to bacterial wilt, verticillium wilt, anthracnose, phytophthora root rot, fusarium wilt, pea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, stem nematode and the northern root knot nematode.
5. Seed increase is limited to one generation of breeder seed (Syn 1), two generations of foundation and two to three generations of certified seed. Certified seed may be produced from either breeder or foundation classes. A 1, 3, and 6 year stand life is permitted on fields producing breeder, foundation and certified classes respectively. Foundation seed production is limited to the Pacific Northwest. Breeder seed was produced in 1992. ABI will maintain sufficient stocks for the projected life of the variety.
6. Certified seed will be available in 1997.
7. Plant variety protection will not be applied for.
8. This information can be forwarded to the PVP office.
9. Variety Name: Date submitted November 19, 1996
Experimental designations: ABI 9252, ZX 9252