1. 91-210 is a 165-plant synthetic variety resulting from phenotypic recurrent selection for resistance to Phytophthora root rot. Parental germplasm traces to WL Southern Special. Approximate germplasm source contributions are: Ladak - 6%; M. varia - 7%; Turkistan - 11%; Flemish - 9%; Chilean - 30%; Peruvian - 29%; Indian - 5%; and African - 3%.
2. 91-210 is adapted for limited use in the Central Valley of California. 91-210 has been yield tested in California.
3. Flower color of 91-210 approximates 100% purple with traces of cream and variegated. The fail dormancy of 91-210 is similar to ABI 700 (Class 6).
4. 91-210 has high resistance to Fusarium with Phytophthora root rot, pea aphid, blue alfalfa aphid, spotted alfalfa aphid, stem nematode, and southern root knot nematode; resistance to anthracnose (Race 1), bacterial with and northern root knot nematode; and moderate resistance to Verticillium with Reaction to Aphanomyces root rot (Race 1) has not been adequately tested.
5. Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced in 1991 on 165 plants under cage isolation at Bakersfield, CA. Sufficient Foundation (Syn 2) seed will be produced for the expected life of the variety and will be maintained by W-L Research. One generation of Breeder (Syn 1) and two generations each of Foundation (Syn 2 or 3) and Certified (Syn 3 or 4) seed are recognized. The maximum permitted length of stand for Foundation and Certified seed fields are 3 and 5 years, respectively. Production of Syn 3 Foundation seed requires consent of the breeder.
6. Certified seed will be marketed in 1997.
7. It is undecided whether application will be made for Plant Variety Protection.
8. The information in this application can be turned over to the PVP office.
9. Experimental Designation: 91-210 Date Submitted: December 1996