1. 54H91 is a 25 clone synthetic cultivar. Parent clones were selected phenotypically for resistance to potato leafhopper and one or more of the following anthracnose race 1, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomycyes root rot (races 1 and 2), bacterial wilt Fusarium wilt, Verticillium wilt, and spotted alfalfa aphid. Parent clones were also selected phenotypically for spring vigor, field appearance, and fall dormancy.
2. 54H91 is adapted to the north central and east central regions of the United States and Ontario, Canada 54H91 is intended for use in the North Central, East Central and Great Plains regions of the United States and Ontario, Canada 54H91 has been tested in Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ontario, Canada.
3. 54H91 is a dormant cultivar with a fall dormancy similar to FD-4 check. Flower color in the Syn 2 generation is 8% purple, 85% variegated, 5% yellow, 2% cream with traces of white found.
4. 54H91 is highly resistant to bacterial wilt, anthracnose (Race 1), Phytophthora, Verticillium wilt, spotted alfalfa aphid and potato leafhopper, resistant to Fusarium wilt, pea aphid and Aphanomyces root rot; moderate resistance to stem nematode, and Northern root-knot nematode. 54H91 has not been tested for blue alfalfa aphid resistance.
5. Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced in the greenhouse at Arlington, WI during winter of 1998-99, a second lot of Breeder seed (Syn 1) was produced in Connell, WA during the summer of 1999. Seed classes will be breeder, foundation (Syn 2 or 3), and certified (Syn 2, 3 or 4). Foundation seed may be produced from breeder or foundation. The second generation foundation seed may be produced at the discretion of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc. Limitations of age of stand will be three and five years, respectively, for foundation and certified seed.
6. Seed will be marketed in the spring of 2002.
7. Application for Plant Variety Protection may be made and the certification option will not be requested.
8. As a means of added varietal protection, information included with the Application for Review of Alfalfa Varieties for Certification may be provided to the P.V.P. office.
9. Variety name: 54H91 Date submitted: November29,2001
Experimental designation: X54H91, Y53H91, W98CL91.